2018 Equine Wellness Program
Our mission at Buffalo Equine is to provide the best possible health care for your horse. The purpose of our wellness program is to provide your horse with personalized disease prevention as well as health and performance maintenance services at an affordable price.
Preventative care is imperative to the well-being of your horse. Regular examinations by a veterinarian can detect many ailments that, when recognized and treated early, can prevent more serious problems from developing.
How the Equine Wellness Program Works
There are two included appointments: Spring and Fall. The Summer appointment is optional and can be added if you wish to vaccinate for Potomac Horse Fever, Strangles, and/or booster for West Nile. If you have questions about your horse’s vaccination needs, please call the office to talk with one of our veterinarians.
Our deworming program has been designed to reflect the growing concern for developing resistance in the parasite population. This program allows us to determine the best deworming program for each individual horse. The wellness program includes two fecal egg counts per year, one in the spring and one in the fall. Although you will receive a basic package of three paste dewormers for each horse at the first wellness visit, the actual deworming recommendations for your horse will be based on the results of the fecal exams. Additional fecal examinations and/or dewormer may be necessary. Please do not deworm your horses after January 1st to get the most useful information from the spring fecal exam. Please see our deworming page for more information on parasite resistance and strategic deworming recommendations.
Chiropractic examinations and treatments will be offered as an optional service in our Wellness Program Summer, or Fall. Please see our website, chiropractic page, for more information on chiropractic exams and treatment.
You Make the Choices
Choose the options that most closely fit the needs of you and your horse and fill out one enrollment form for each horse. More forms are available at the clinic and online at www.belac.net. Select the optional procedures you would like to have included in your program by placing an “x” in the box to the left of the procedure. We recommend blood work (complete blood count and chemistry profile) on older horses (>20 years old) and on any individual with suspected problems. Sheath cleaning can only be done in heated barns or when the temperature is above 32 degrees. Powerfloats are recommended annually (or a least every other year) depending on the individual. Horses over the age of 20 should be floated annually. Only one call charge will be assigned to multiple horses at the same location when the visits can be coordinated at the same time and the horses are enrolled together. Please call the clinic if you have questions or if you need assistance in the enrollment process.
You can estimate the fee for your personalized wellness program by listing the discounted fee in the right column and adding up the totals, or we will calculate it for you when you return the completed enrollment form.
- ENROLLMENT DEADLINE: JANUARY 31, 2018. Enrollments received after this date will NOT be eligible for the Wellness Program discount.
- PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED AT THE TIME OF ENROLLMENT.
- ALL APPOINTMENT DATES AND TIMES MUST BE MADE AT THE TIME OF ENROLLMENT. Fill in the appointment scheduler with date preferences. Our staff will call once they receive your enrollment to set your appointment. We will also call at least one week ahead of the scheduled appointment to remind you and you must confirm this appointment prior to a doctor coming out. You may reschedule within the time frame allotted for that appointment. If your appointment is not completed within the timeframe allotted you may still schedule your appointment but services will be at regular prices and you will be required to pay the difference (approximately 20% more for that appointment) at the time of service.
- Optional procedures such as floating or sheath cleaning that are not selected at enrollment can be completed at the wellness visit for the discounted price when paid for at the time of the service.
- Wellness Program Services are non-transferable between horses. If a horse enrolled in the Wellness Program is sold or dies before completion of the program, we will credit your account for the remaining balance of the services not performed.
Spring(February 1st through March 15th)
Yearly Physical Examination including dental exam
Nutrition Evaluation including Body Condition Scoring
McMasters Fecal Egg Count test
- Encephalitis (Eastern & Western)
- West Nile
Coggins Test (Equine Infectious Anemia)
Complete Blood Cell Count and Blood Chemistry Profile – optional
Sheath/Udder cleaning – optional
Microchip Identification – optional
Summer(June, July or August)
- Potomac Horse Fever
- West Nile Booster
Chiropractic Exam and Treatment
General examination with dental exam
Mcmasters Fecal Egg Count test
Sheath/Udder Cleaning – optional
Powerfloat – optional
Chiropractic Exam and Treatment – optional
We will provide you with a packet of labeled paste dewormers and instructions for scheduled administration based on Fecal Egg Counts.
Paste Deworming Schedule
- April 1 – Quest
- December 1 – Ivermectin with Praziquantel
Print out enrollment form and
Fax to: (763) 682-2915
Mail to: 3810 County, Road. 12 North
Buffalo, MN 55313